Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: A Year In Review

Before I go out tonight to ring in the new year with a couple of my favorite people in the entire world, I thought it would be a decent thing to do to pause for a moment and reflect on all that has happened in the past year.  2012 was 180 degrees different than the year before...not better or worse, just different.  This year was spent on my home turf and close to the people I love, but was still full of life lessons and growth.

One of the biggest changes this year was the transition from student to member of the real world.  My life up to this point has been dictated by class schedules, homework, exams, etc., and it was a big sigh of relief when I finally realized I could come home at the end of the day and relax.  I no longer have to stress about a problem set due tomorrow or studying for an exam.  In a weird way I miss these things because these scenes were the settings of some of my best times in college, but on the other hand it's my first real break so my brain has thanked me for that.

The thing that has been keeping me busy this year is my job at Twisters Sports Center.  At the beginning of the year I sort of felt out of place, but now that my first (and very successful) compulsory season has ended and another optional season is right around the corner, I feel like an integral part of the program.  I have assumed a lot of responsibility over the last year and it has paid off dividends.  Seeing how far my girls have come is so completely rewarding and I'm forever thankful for my wonderful boss and co-workers.  It's nice to have the opportunity to do something I love so much, though I'm also thankful for the internship experience I gained at the beginning of the year with Intuitive.  A completely different setting than the gym, but also very interesting and full of life.  I learned a lot from the people around me and the opportunity to work in the lab at the forefront of the technology was great.  Unfortunately in the end things didn't work out as I planned, but I'm still searching and plugging away for a career in the engineering field.  The disappointment in not being offered a position with the company taught me a few very important things, mostly that the world doesn't stop when you don't get what you want.  You can choose to wallow in your disappointments or use them to move on and become a better, stronger version of yourself.  Engineering is something I will have a lifelong passion for, no matter how I end up using it in my daily life.  I also know that the persistence that comes from a difficult job search as well as the other life lessons I'm gaining in the gym every day will help me there as well should I ever have the opportunity to make that my career.

2012 was also exciting because it was an Olympic year and I had a front row ticket to all the action.  As a spectator, the journey took me to London in January, St. Louis at the beginning of June, and right here in San Jose for Olympic Trials on my birthday.  I gained so many wonderful family connections because of this opportunity and it gave Cale and I a chance to travel and spend some real time together.  The emotional roller-coaster of those couple of months was crazy, but talk about a premier example of someone who really did just what I mentioned above and has become better and stronger in the wake of the events as they unfolded.  I have such great role models in my life, not only in one person but in all the family/extended family, teammates, and friends I've been blessed with.  I know that because of this, 2013 will be nothing short of amazing.  I'm looking forward to all the experiences I will share with my loved ones and to all the opportunities that lie ahead for us.

Happy New Year, everyone!  Stay safe and enjoy the festivities :)

No comments:

Post a Comment