Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Australian Supply Co.

Yesterday I ventured down to San Jose to check out a shop I found online stocking all sorts of Australian goods.  I'm trying to prepare for the party we're hosting on Friday evening..."Around the World in 80 Drinks," where everyone coming brings things from a different country.  I of course decided to go with Australia since I deem myself a pseudo-Aussie and so I needed some authentic supplies.  Walking into the place brought me straight back to my time in Melbourne and the stores I became comfortable with there; all the brands looked familiar and it was somewhat comforting.  The stuff was expensive because everything is imported from half-way around the world, but it was worth it for this cause.  I ended up with a variety of biscuits (known as cookies here...Tim-Tams, ANZAC biscuits), a tube of yummy Vegemite, and some ginger beer.  I also bought a shirt to wear along with face tattoos that I'm really excited about.

This morning I completed the first step in baking lamingtons (sponge cake with chocolate and coconut...an Australian staple) and I will finish them tomorrow after letting them sit overnight, along with the Australian meat pies I'm planning on making.  I'm really looking forward to seeing it all come together; it's going to be a fun time and I can't wait to see what everyone brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment