Saturday, November 19, 2011

Big Game

Today is the annual meeting of the Cal and Stanford football teams.  It is a contest more commonly known as the Big Game, and it has quite a history.  The Cal-Stanford rivalry is pretty intense (in football at least, not so much in gymnastics) and it's been fun pitting myself against my dad over the past couple of years.  We went to three(?) games out of my four years at Stanford, and it's always fun bashing each other and making fun of the other team.  While my allegiance will forever and always be with Stanford (duh), I have to concede that the Cal band is superior.  That's the only nice thing I will say, as my dad can attest to.  


The entire campus is buzzed the whole week leading up to the game.  There are signs everywhere (including the one above, which hangs at Meyer Library), the band comes out for a rally (see video below), and there is absolutely no blue or gold in sight.  Everyone is gearing up to take back or defend The Axe, which is rightfully ours anyway (but is something that Cal has stolen on occasion).



I'm excited to have bragging rights for yet another year (I'm banking on a Cardinal win today) and hopefully next season and in the years to come my dad and I can attend more games together.  I also hope he's flying the "House Divided" flag I bought him for Father's Day a couple of years ago.  We're both proud of our allegiances and I think everyone should know about them  :)

2 comments:

  1. Gadfreys, your dad is looking more and more like your Grandpa Frank. Genes will tell, won't they. Loved the pictures - and your comments. Love you, Grandpa Ren and Grandma Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree on the dad/grandpa resemblance. I see it more and more as the years go on. And Stanford pulled out a win...another year of bragging rights for me, woohoo! :)

    ReplyDelete