Wednesday, November 23, 2011

D-O-N-E...What Does That Spell? DONE!!!

When I started this blog, and even throughout the course of the year, I don't think I really understood the gravity of this moment.  I can't believe that after nine months of hard work, I'm finally finished.  Two semesters worth of labs, research papers, and final exams, but I made it.

Today was my last exam and I walked in feeling emotional and somewhat overwhelmed, but I came out with a sense of accomplishment.  I can't really put it into words, and in some ways it feels like I'll wake up tomorrow and this will turn out to have been a dream.  I know it's not, and I am more than ready to graduate and to embrace whatever it is that lies ahead.

Now that I have more time on my hands (hallelujah!) there are some things I need to check off my list.  First of all, I need to take care of little things like my phone and reservations for graduation dinner, etc.  Side note, my parents will be here in three weeks (can't believe it!) and I will be home in 50 days!!  On a scale of one to excited, I'm definitely EXCITED.  My roommate asked me what it is that I want to do first once I get home.  It really got me thinking and I couldn't just pick one thing.  There are so many items on my list, so many things to look forward to.  I settled on wanting to see/hug all my family and friends, but that was followed closely by driving :)

I've been living off of whatever scraps of food I have left in the refrigerator because I've put off shopping until after finals.  I decided at the beginning of the week that I wanted to attempt to cook some Thanksgiving dishes since I will be missing our traditional dinner at home.  That means tomorrow I need to put together a mega shopping list and make one or two trips to the grocery store.  I don't know if I'm going to be able to carry everything in one go, but it's nice to know that I have more than enough time to make multiple trips if I want to.

On that note, I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration with family and friends.  My Facebook news feed has been taken over by status updates from all of my friends who are traveling to the midwest or east coast for the holiday.  I'm kind of jealous, but I'll do the best I can to bring Thanksgiving to Australia.  Even though we don't have pretty leaves on the trees right now, it's not exactly warm and the forecast for Friday (which is Thanksgiving at home) is rain, so it will still feel holiday-ish.  I'll post pictures of everything if it turns out well...I'm planning on doing stuffing, yams, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce.  You may be wondering about the turkey, but that's not a meat that's too popular here.  I think I'm going to have to settle with getting some turkey fillets and just cooking them on the stove.  My mom claims that it's all about the other dishes anyways.  By the way, here's a Thanksgiving card for your enjoyment (starring my family):  Jib Jab Card.



1 comment:

  1. Hallelujah x 3! We've been watching your blog to be sure to know when everything (schoolwise) was over. We can't wait to hear FROM YOU all the stories of your year "down under," and the period to your school year, the trip to the Paris. We're proud, Granddaughter. Grandpa says you are a compliment to our family tree. Love you, Grandpa Ren and Grandma Connie. - Can you substitute Emu for turkey?

    ReplyDelete