Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tell The World I'm Coming Home

What a roller-coaster these past few days have been.  I'm almost through another week of school (two left!), but it hasn't been easy.  On Monday we went to the Royal Melbourne Hospital to take a look at the variety of electrical medical devices and to perform some safety tests on them.  While I can't see myself being a technician like that, it was fun to walk around the hospital and see all the action in the different departments.  I have to say that at first I didn't really like it because the sights and smells took me back to when I had my surgeries, but once I got over that I was able to enjoy myself.  On Tuesday I turned in my term paper for Biomaterials (woohoo!!) and am now in the process of preparing for tomorrow's presentation.  I've finished writing everything up and now my partner and I just need to go over it a few times to make sure we stay within the time limit, have smooth transitions, etc.  So far, the presentations have been pretty good, and I'm just excited to get ours over with.  The only part I'm really nervous for is the Q&A afterwards.  You can practice and prepare for a presentation, but you'll never know what questions your classmates and professors will come up with on the spot.

Tuesday seemed to drag on and on, and I was tired, stressed, and wound up to the point that I thought my head might explode.  It was looking like a very long week, and I began to get overwhelmed with everything I have left in front of me.  Then I received an email from my mom and guess what...MY FLIGHTS HOME HAVE BEEN BOOKED!!   I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was; pretty sure I started crying a little bit.  It's time for everyone to get out their calendars and write "Carter Comes Home" in big letters on January 13th.  Equally as exciting is the fact that my brother and I are officially going to Europe!!


The timing of all of this couldn't have been more perfect.  It's what I needed to propel me through the next two weeks and into final exams.

In other news, my prediction about the banana/honey bread was correct.  By Tuesday night, it was all gone.  In honor of autumn (at home), I've decided that this week I'm going to make pumpkin bread.  It's going to be a little bit harder than usual because apparently Aussies don't ever cook pumpkin pie or anything, so they don't carry pumpkin pureé in the store.  Every time I asked, I got a weird look that said, "Wow, you're definitely American."  So instead I bought some pumpkin and I'm going to have to prepare the pureé myself.  We'll see how it goes.

Thursdays are nice because I don't have class until 3:30pm.  This morning I got up and before 10am I had been to the grocery store, eaten breakfast, and went to the post office.  I have to thank my mom and dad for the Halloween package they sent me!  I'm really excited to eat the candy corn, so thank you!!  :)  It's not a big holiday over here (in fact, I don't think it's really anything at all) but I'm proudly displaying the Halloween card on my desk  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment