Friday, October 14, 2011

Pumpkin Time

After a stressful week, I decided to unwind this afternoon by baking pumpkin bread.  I found the recipe online at some point last week, inspired by the fact that it is the month of October.  It called for a can of pumpkin pureé, but I found out that the Aussies don't carry the canned kind.  This meant that I had to embark on an adventure and make it by hand.  I bought a pumpkin, scraped out the seeds, cut it up, steamed it for 20 minutes, then peeled away the skin before taking a fork to it.  In the end, it was probably a little lumpy, but it was good enough for my purpose.  I also decided to save the seeds and roasted them in olive oil and salt...mmm.


I then took the mash and combined it with eggs, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, nutmeg, and baking powder.  It thickened up quickly, and the aroma began to fill the kitchen.


The recipe actually made a lot more than I had expected, so I had to bake the dough in two batches.  Though all the whipping and beating took some work, the results were worth it.  My roommate couldn't stop talking about it and I thoroughly enjoyed a piece myself.  This might be a recipe I use again in the near future.



No comments:

Post a Comment