Saturday, October 8, 2011

Back At It, One More Time

I've been such a slacker lately when it comes to this blog.  I can't believe how quickly things picked up once school got started again.  It was like a whirlwind, and before I knew it, the entire week had flown by.  Sorry in advance for what will likely be a lack of new postings in the next couple of weeks.  I'll do my best, but school comes first (as the good student in me would say)!

The matzah ball soup I made last week was a really big hit.  It ended up that the recipe made a lot more than I had anticipated, so there was enough to go around.  My roommates appreciated the warmth on a cold, rainy evening, and I was happy they enjoyed what I had prepared.

School started with a bang, as I eluded to before.  I arrived to my first class of the week and was greeted with a new assignment.  We are going to be visiting Royal Melbourne Hospital (where we got our EKGs taken) again tomorrow to complete some safety testing on electrical medical equipment.  That means that all the necessary preparations need to be made.  Luckily I'm done with that now and printed it out earlier this morning.  Also on the list of things to do was my Biomaterials term paper.  I'm working with my friend Bahar, and we finally finished, read-over, reread, edited, read once more, and printed out a copy to take to class on Tuesday.  We've also prepared the slides for our presentation on the topic that will take place on Friday.  I think we're in a really good position to do well.

In addition to tying up loose ends on those couple of projects, I still have an Anatomy paper (topic yet to be assigned, STILL) and Tissue Engineering to worry about, as well as my final Clinical Engineering project.  This is all in addition to the three final exams I have to take, starting on November 7th.  I'll be done November 23rd, so quite a long finals period.  But luckily, I'll still be done before Thanksgiving (which excites me even though the Aussies won't be celebrating).

Friday afternoon I decided to continue with the Jewish theme and cooked my first kugel.  I've decided that combining the recipe I found with my absolute favorite one my mom cooks would lead to the most amazing kugel anyone's ever tasted.  I'm going to have to add that to the "to-do" list.


Last night was fun and eventful.  My roommates and I decided to stay in instead of venturing out to get food.  A request for an encore performance by the matzah ball soup turned into a pot-luck style dinner, where everyone contributed something.  It was nice to be in the kitchen (though it's rather small and at times we bumped into each other, etc.) while playing music.  Little did we know that Liz had decided to buy a couch off of a secondhand furniture website; at 7:30, a couch came through the door.  After we finished our dinner and a movie, we rearranged the living room and went on a major cleaning spree (we also got a new vacuum) and our flat (I call it an apartment, but they don't really use that word here) looks awesome!  It actually resembles a place where people are living, instead of just being empty.  After we were all done, we plopped down on the couch and watched TV, just because we could.


Today I listened to the Stanford football game on the radio stream from home while doing some work (we beat Colorado 48-7, extending our nation-best win streak to 13 games).  Because the kugel disappeared so fast (my roommates love Jewish food!) I've just whipped up a banana/honey bread with cinnamon.  It smells so good in the kitchen right now, and I'm confident that the loaf won't be there by Tuesday.

I'm going to continue to relax for the rest of the day and follow along with the men's prelim competition at the world championships.  The women were amazing last night and easily qualified to the finals.  There are so many media outlets now that I kind of feel like I'm right there, watching live.  It's great!  Tomorrow it's back to the grind...three more weeks!  I'll try to get something up in the middle of the week, but no promises.  Study, study, study  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment