Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Blanket Surgery

For those of you who don't know, I am the owner of a very old blanket.  My mom made it for me for when I was born, and at the time probably never thought it would still be around.  I don't know how or why I decided to keep it, but this 23-year-old blanket has been with me through everything:  it's traveled to competitions with me, been on school camping trips, and experienced Thailand and Australia.  Needless to say, it's been through a lot and is definitely showing it's age.  I decided last night that it was time to clean it up a little bit; I got the scissors and trimmed off the strings.  Let me tell you, each time I made a cut I felt like I was tearing away part of my soul.  However, I have to say, now it looks better and seems like it has new life (as new as it can get at this point).  I know that others who look at it won't see it, but I do.  I don't know how long it will last, but it's the material item I cherish most in this world so I'll do what I can to give it as long of a life as possible.  Crazy or not, that's just how it's going to be.

Just to preface the pictures, when it was new, the middle of the blanket was a vibrant red with a stripe of balloon fabric around it and blue trim.  The back side was just the balloons.  Unfortunately now it's so worn that you can see the "stuffing" in between the layers (or at least what's left of it).



No comments:

Post a Comment