Thursday, June 9, 2011

Final Exam Kickoff

The first exam is done and over with.  And for all the time spent studying, the three hours they give you to complete the test go by in a flash.  My exam this morning was at 9:30am in a big hall on campus.  I got up at 8 and had some breakfast while doing some half-hearted, last minute review.  I finally decided that it was time to get dressed and head out, and I made my way to campus.  From where I'm living now it takes me maybe 10 minutes to get there.  Again I had my flashcards in my hand, but between paying attention to the traffic and listening to my iPod, there weren't many opportunities to really soak in any more information.
I arrived at the location of my test to find a large bin sitting outside.  I realized that we weren't allowed to take in our backpacks or any other bags, so I had to take out what I needed (pens, pencils, water, engineering approved calculator (yeah, I had to buy another one), and student ID card).  The doors to the hall were only opened five minutes before designated reading time began, and they checked my ID and directed me to my assigned seat.  There were some 300+ desks in the room, and I was in lucky number 148.  The specific instructions were to leave my ID card on the top left hand side of the desk and to wait patiently for the announcement to begin reading.  Reading time is when you can look through the exam, but you aren't allowed to have a pen/pencil in your hand.  They give you 15 minutes, and I actually found it to be very stressful.  It's like they give you extra time to realize all the things you don't know before you actually have the chance to write anything down.
Once the actual testing experience began, there were monitors continually walking up and down the rows of desks, excusing people if they needed to go use the restroom (you can't just get up and leave) and checking the ID cards yet again.  As I said before, the three hours I was given just flew right on by, and before I knew it, the test was over and the damage was done.  I don't have any clue as to how the grading goes or anything like that, but this exam was worth 60% of my grade so it was kind of a big deal.  I'm really hoping I did enough to pass.  As I began to walk home, the waves of stress and exhaustion hit me and I felt like I wanted to puke.  I definitely didn't, but I am so glad it's over.  Now at least I have an idea of what it's like, though my remaining exams are all in buildings off campus, so I am going to have the added pleasure of trying to find them.  Next up is Medical Imaging on Tuesday.  It's the Queen's Birthday on Monday, so we "get the day off" of school, which just means more study time.  I'm taking either tomorrow or Sunday off, I just haven't decided which.  Probably Sunday because the tram tickets are cheapest on that day, so I can go on an adventure while saving some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment