Sunday, March 13, 2011

Labour Day Parade

Today is Labour Day in Australia and as I said before, businesses and most universities have the day off.  I had class this afternoon, but I took the time to make it to the Labour Day Parade earlier this morning.  There was a great turnout, and the parade took over one of the main streets that runs through the Central Business District.  That made it very convenient for me; I just went on a run and made my way over there.  The whole experience was very entertaining, and the parade committee did a nice job of organizing it.  Many of Melbourne's big activities were represented and presented in the order in which they occur throughout the year.  There were a lot of colors on the floats and in many of the costumes, and some good music as well.  The only thing that I found to be a bit peculiar was the holiday float near the end of the parade.  Santa was being pulled by what I can only guess were kangaroos and he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt!!  Definitely not the picture that I'm used too, and I feel like I am going to have to set a few Aussies straight when the time comes around.

Kangaroos  :)
Youth Corps
"Santa"

No comments:

Post a Comment