Saturday, March 12, 2011

Moomba Festival

"Every Labour Day long weekend in March Moomba Festival brings Melburnians together to share in the vibrancy and spirit of our much loved city."

Well, my second week of school is complete, and while it went smoothly, I am already infinitely more busy than I was last weekend.  However, that didn't stop me from having a little fun yesterday evening.  The Moomba festival is in town this weekend, and I decided that after a day of studying, I could allow myself to go check it out.  Located in downtown Melbourne, right along the Yarra River, there were carnival games and rides, a water-ski competition, a "silent disco," where people danced to music that only they could hear through the headphones they were wearing.  Even with everything that was going on, I have to say that I just liked looking at the city lights reflecting off the water of the river.


As I was walking through the city on my way home, I also got the chance to witness a rather brutal brawl going on between three girls and two guys.  It got a little crazy and dangerous by the end, with one of the girls chasing down one of the boys while holding a broken beer bottle.  Crazy things can happen when people have a little too much fun partying.  I made it back safely though, so no need to worry, haha.  I'm back at my Sunday morning study spot, trying to get some research done for my finance class.  We have a 40 minute group presentation that I have to prepare for, due at the end of the month.  Add that in with a couple of research papers and I can honestly say that I will be working steadily from here on out.  That doesn't mean that I won't be taking the time to explore and enjoy the wonderful weather, but I am just going to have to make sure that work comes before play.

Tomorrow is Labour Day and so most businesses will be closed, but of course we still have class.  Apparently, UniMelb is pretty much the only school around here that will be in session.  It's alright though, I only have a one-hour lecture on Monday afternoons, so I think I'll be able to handle it.  I'm heading into week three, so it's crazy for me to think that all of my friends at Stanford will be taking finals next week.  Good luck everyone (especially Blair and T, who will be done with their Stanford careers by the end of the week)!!  I laugh now, but I know the tables will be turned when I'm taking finals at the end of June.  Oh well, such is life I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment