Sunday, August 12, 2012

Tennis Time

In yet another awesome weekend, I got to go up to Sacramento with Alex and Cale.  The official reason for our trip was to watch Alex compete in his second tennis tournament.  This time he was up against the number one seed of the entire competition, and this guy knew how to smash the ball and place it exactly where he wanted to.  In this sense, it seemed unfair that he was in the same bracket as some of the other players listed at his level, but because he was a bigger guy and couldn't move around very well he was allowed to play at a lower level than he probably should have.  Alex pushed him hard whenever he was serving because he was taking his sweet time when it was his turn and it was rather annoying.  In any case, I'm pretty sure Alex had a good time and in the end that's what matters.

After the match we drove the extra 20 minutes up to my house and were welcomed by cooling showers and warm hugs from my parents; it was the first time Cale had met them and all seemed to go smoothly.  My mom came home with food from the store and we all got busy chopping up veggies and making the rest of the necessary preparations.  It was pretty late by the time we actually sat down at the table and everyone was really hungry, but the food was good and worth the wait.  There was a lot of good conversation that continued as we left the house and walked the mile down the road to fro-yo.  Once we got back to the house we whipped out Rummikub and somehow, though not atypical, Alex came from behind to win in the last round.  We all went to bed completely exhausted and slept-in late this morning.

Cale and I got up and went on a run.  I love running with him because he pushes me but we are able to stay together for the most part.  While we were running, Alex stayed at the house and cooked breakfast for everyone which was great to come home to.  We ate with my dad and then showered and got ready to hit the road again.  There was a bit of traffic along the way back to the bay but we made it close to on-time for Alex's tennis match with Sean.  Cale dropped me off at my car and then I came home to get some stuff done before heading towards campus to reunite with the boys in the gym; Alex really wanted to swing some bars so we all decided to play.  It's so fun to be able to watch them throw stuff and do everything purely for fun.  I joined in but am not really strong enough at the moment to go for big skills.  I really want to continue to go in with them if they'll have me and see what I can get back.  Right now I can do kips on bars, passes on tumble-trak, back-handspring layouts on the floor, and some stuff on beam.  There are some things I think I can get back if I'm able strengthen my arms a little bit...it's just a matter of walking the very fine line of hurting my elbow.  My ankle was bothering me at some point but I stretched it out and now we'll just have to wait and see how I feel in the morning :)

After gymnastics playtime we got out the badminton rackets and played for about 45 minutes.  I had a great time while accumulating some rug burns and I want to continue to play and get better.  It's fun with the boys because they are so competitive and it rubs off on me.  

Here's to a great weekend and I can only hope the boys enjoyed their time as well.  I know my parents loved the company and it was really nice to have quality bonding time :)  Already can't wait to get through this week so I can see what next weekend has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment