Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Conditioning Craze

After playing in the gym on Sunday, I woke up yesterday sore in places I didn't even know existed.  Pretty much everything hurt, including my intercostals (not sure how that's possible)!!  Of course that didn't mean anything to me because it was a ton of fun and that's what matters, right?  Yesterday I went in before work and took 30 minutes to stretch EVERYTHING which felt awesome.  After that I coached for four hours and then realized that if I went home there was no way I was going to be motivated enough to go running.  What did I do instead?  I stayed for an extra hour+ and conditioned...not sure why I felt compelled to do so and even though it was painful, it was one of those "hurt so good" kind of feelings.

As you can imagine, that didn't make waking up this morning any easier.  I decided to move around as soon as I got up so I opted to walk to work at Stanford rather than drive and by the time I got there I was feeling decent.  I got through practice with minimal arm raising/movement (ouch my shoulders and elbow) only to be talked into leading a spin workout for the girls at the end of the day.  Allan had to leave to make a doctor appointment for his daughter and said that because a lot of the girls were feeling beat up he rather them not run.  I haven't really spun since I was done at Stanford and getting on the bike brought back a whole lot of memories.  I got the girls warmed up and then we went "up the mountain, down the mountain" with sprints.  I heard a lot of, "I thought this was going to be easy!" statements escaping their lips but they were sweating and very wobbly by the end of it all.  I was pretty beat myself but in a sick obsession type way it felt good.  The girls were done after that, but Cat came in and we decided to go through the posted agility conditioning list from the previous school year.  There are some 25 different exercises on there and we busted them out in less than 30 minutes.  By the end I could hardly move and some of the exercises really tested my mental toughness; having someone to do it all with really helped and we laughed and joked our way through the things that were difficult for us.

Because I walked to campus, I obviously wasn't able to drive home.  Feeling seriously dead I walked over to Arbuckle (in the new business school...one of the nicest places on campus, in my opinion) to eat my lunch and read.  I got through 75 pages and then sat in one of the rocking chairs outside and dozed in the sun.  At about 4pm, three hours after work had ended, I finally mustered up the energy to walk home.  That was cut short however and I am currently sitting in Starbucks on University Ave because I needed a break and a snack, haha (my ankle is not really happy with all the new things I've been exposing it to).  I'm about to try and conquer the last part of my walk and I'm really looking forward to showering and relaxing for the rest of the evening.  I'm curious to see how I'll feel in the morning because part of me thinks I can't get any more sore than I already am, but you never know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment