Sunday, July 1, 2012

Olympic Trials, Day 3

Men's Finals...what an experience.  I remember attending trials with my mom in 2004 but to actually know and care so much about someone participating just takes the experience to an entirely new level.  I had some trouble falling asleep last night, woke up this morning and didn't eat breakfast, had a mini-crying session in the car on the way to San Jose, and couldn't even find any music to calm my nerves.

Even with all the hysterics I made it to the arena and met up with Ashley and the gang.  It's nice because we have a little routine now with where we sit, who has the baby, etc., so everything is really smooth.  Cale was able to pawn off his campers yet again so he came over to join us.  The whole competition was a little surreal, as is the fact that it's all over and we have to wait until 10am to find anything out.  Alex started on vault where he warmed up a half-on-randi (and almost landed it!) but wasn't able to do it in competition.  A frustrating/unexpected way to start, but he really rallied and had a great competition from that point on.  Pbars was pretty much the best I've seen and high bar was amazing as usual; they stopped the rest of the competitors and brought all the cameras over so that his routine would be broadcasted live on television.  Floor went much better than Thursday and then pommels and rings rounded out the competition.  At the conclusion of the meet two people were officially named to the olympic team, but everyone else has to wait.



After Alex finished interviews we met up with him and took him out for a Mexican dinner.  He had a HUGE burrito which looked amazing while I had a salad that took forever to come out and was a bit underwhelming.  Oh well, this weekend was not about me anyways.  Once again the meal took awhile (what's up with the restaurant service, San Jose?) but we finally made our way out and I played chauffeur and drove back and forth a couple of times to get everyone up to Palo Alto.  We spent the evening in the backyard of Alex's house, enjoying watermelon, cookies, and a little bit of alcohol.  We had a nice heater running and we laid out on the grass picnic-style until about 11pm.  It was great to get the chance to talk with all these people I've gotten to know and really love being around.  Finally it was time to get Alex back to the hotel and so we said our goodbyes and that was that.  The midwesterners are heading home tomorrow morning so unfortunately I won't be seeing them for awhile, unless I take a trip out there :)








Big day tomorrow, but no matter what the outcome, this was one awesome experience.  The love and support I felt all around me this weekend was amazing and I can't stress how lucky I feel to be part of it.  Of course I'm crossing my fingers and praying with all my might, but it's out of our hands now...Alex did his job and it's up to the committee to decide.  10am really can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment