Monday, April 2, 2012

Level 7 State Championships

This past weekend was the level 7 state championships, hosted by Sac State University.  I was asked to come along and coach the group of girls we have a Twisters, and with the way the age groups were divided up that meant I had to be present for four different sessions.  I drove up Saturday morning and was there for the afternoon session and then I went back to all three sessions held on Sunday.  It was fun to see my parents in the audience for my first session and the girls performed really well.  They kicked off the weekend in style, including a 9.775 floor routine at the end of the day.  We ended the weekend hitting 28 for 28 routines and exceeding our goal of reaching a 113 team score.  We ended up with a few state champions and placed fifth as a team...right where we predicted we would be.  It was a fun experience and I realized just how much fun I have with Allan and Ericka when we're on the floor together.  It was also neat to see some of the other coaches and judges I grew up with in NorCal and I caught many second glances as these people realized I was no longer a little gymnast running around but was in fact a coach in charge of my own group of girls.  It's crazy how things have now come full circle.

After the competition ended on Sunday, I met up with my parents and my aunt in town from the Boston area.  It was the first time seeing her in a couple of years and it was nice to have an hour or so to talk.  I got on the road and picked up T on my way back to the bay, making for a rather late but very fulfilling evening.

I woke up this morning to meet Ashley and Annaliese (Alex's sister and niece) for breakfast before they had to get on a plane back to Chicago.  It was my first time meeting the baby and I just couldn't get over how cute she was.  She was a bit squirmy and curious about everything and it was fun just watch her attempt to take in everything new.  We ate and then walked around a bit before they piled in the car to try to get her to sleep.  I got to hold her and she fell in love with my necklace and the sparkles on my shirt, but part of me was afraid she was going to pull too hard and choke me, haha.

It's back to work starting tomorrow but I have the afternoon off today so I'll be taking advantage of that as best I can.  I think I'm going to stop in and say high to the SWG girls before they leave at the end of the week for NCAA Regionals.  It's an exciting part of the season and hopefully things will work out better than they did last year...only time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment