Monday, January 23, 2012

SWG Alumni Weekend

What a whirlwind this past weekend has been.  SWG had a competition yesterday and beforehand the plan was to honor the alumni that were able to come into town.  Purnell, Shelley, and Blair all flew in so many of the members of the 2008 team went out to dinner on Friday evening.  We went to Thaiphoon and it was just as awesome as it was the week before.  It was nice to see everyone together again and it's the first time the 2010 seniors were in one room since I left last year.  After dinner some of the girls wanted to go out so we spent some time dancing in downtown Palo Alto.  I had to get up for work on Saturday morning, so I took it easy and chauffeured people around.

On Saturday I had practice from 8:30am-12:30pm and then a private for an hour after that.  By the time I got home and showered I was exhausted and I decided to take a nap.  I woke up when T started poking me and she asked if I wanted to have a class dinner at Pluto's.  Of course I said yes and soon after that we were on our way.  We met Blair there and enjoyed a yummy dinner before heading to campus for the alumni reception the coaches were holding for us in the Ford Center.  It was all very nicely laid out; there was champagne and wine, fruit and cheese platters, as well as some mini cupcakes.  A good number of people came and we were able to chat and make introductions.  Some of us snuck off to watch part of the men's meet (which they won) and then came back before everyone had to go.  Once again the "younger alums" wanted to go out so everyone got ready and we had some fun in the apartment upstairs before finally getting out the door and into downtown Palo Alto.  It was a hectic night because we were trying to organize a large group of people but it was still fun.

Sunday morning I slept in a little bit (though it didn't really feel like it because we had all gotten in late the night before) and then I had to get ready for the competition.  Kristen really needed help and asked me to be the meet director so I had to get to the gym by 11am.  Once I was there I began running around and almost didn't stop until the competition was over.  There are so many things that go on behind the scenes...it's crazy!  I enjoyed it though and did have the chance to watch a fair bit.  It was also fun because the alumni were introduced before the meet started and then we got to do a cheer with the girls before they went to their first event.  Some of the girls I am coaching now showed up and asked me for my autograph afterwards which was sweet.

After the competition we had dinner with the team, watched part of the football game, then my class headed out to froyo.  It was good but we were all tired and so we headed back and popped in a movie.  We all piled onto our couch in the living room and had a good time laughing together.  It was a great end to a long weekend and I'm glad we had that time with just us.  This morning I took Blair to the airport and it was a sad goodbye but she's planning on coming out again in May so we're all excited for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment