Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Nice and Monaco

This morning I got up early after sleeping like a rock for a number of hours.  I went for a run in the freezing cold (literally, it was 0 degrees C) and unfortunately I got lost along the way.  I started to panic because I didn't even know the address of Sandro's house, but eventually I found it.  My body was numb at this point and I gladly jumped into a hot shower.  After getting out and dressed, Kenny and I ate breakfast before Sandro and his girlfriend got in the car with us and drove us for 20 minutes into Nice.  Old-town Nice is full of cute boulevards and small alleyways packed with stores and apartments.  We took our time looking around and stumbled upon many treasures (a morning market and a couple of cathedrals).  We also went into the newer part of town which feels like most major cities that I've been to.  There are a variety of stores, high end hotels, and even a very convenient tram system.


After Nice we got back in the car and continued driving east into the principality of Monaco.  They have their own flag and government but aren't exactly their own country...I don't really know how to classify it because it's all kind of confusing to me.  In any case, it is one of the richest regions in Europe and the drive was all along the coast, which was absolutely beautiful.  There were a large number of yachts out on the shore and the sun was shining down, making the water glisten.  Once in Monaco we grabbed lunch (Kenny and I got crêpes!) before looking around.  In the center of town there is a Christmas village setup that will be there until the new year; it was so cute and full of families.  There were also little souvenir-like shops and places to grab snacks.  


Sandro led us up a long trail to the palace belonging to the prince of Monaco.  The walk was worth it because once at the top we could see the entire principality...and when else will I have the chance to walk around the grounds of a palace?  We took pictures, marveled at our surroundings, and did a little window shopping at the small stores surrounding the estate.  Unfortunately we didn't get the chance to see the prince or his new wife before we decided to head back down to the car.  We drove back using a different route and got home in no time.  I think that Sandro is a crazy driver but Kenny just laughs as he weaves in and out of traffic and slams on his breaks from time to time.

Kenny and Sandro are playing on the computer and we're all just waiting for dinner.  Tonight I think ravioli is on the menu so it should be another nice meal.  I can't believe we're lucky enough to start off our trip with people who are feeding us, letting us stay in their home, and taking us around town.  We decided we could stay here for our entire time in Europe and be just fine, but unfortunately Sandro has to go back to school soon (haha!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment