Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Bonjour, Paris

First of all, welcome to the new version of my blog!  I'm not going to be deleting any of the posts I've already written, but it's time to change things up since I'm no longer in Australia.

Kenny and I made it to France in one piece.  The journey was ridiculously long, but now we're here in Antibes safe and sound.  The flight from Singapore was about 12 hours and again I hardly slept; even though I had my neck pillow, I just couldn't get comfortable.  Kenny was able to pass out for a bit so he was better off than I was.  We arrived in Paris at 6:05am local time and made our way to customs.  We were met with a line that snaked around the terminal and moved at a snail's pace because there was only one man working that early in the morning.  Kenny and I both made it through without a problem and from there we were off to the train station.  Luckily there is one at the airport and we were able to get our Eurail tickets validated there.  However, we learned we wouldn't be able to catch a train to Antibes from that station so the man behind the counter gave us directions to the station we needed to be at.  It only took us two short metro rides and we were there.  I have to take the time to say that I'm very impressed with myself and my ability to converse in French.  I'm definitely nowhere near perfect, but have been able to get by just fine in all the situations we've faced.

The metro took us to Gare de Lyon, a very large station.  Kenny and I had to weave through a couple of different lines before finding the right one.  By the time we got there, the train we wanted to be on was full so we had to stay at the station for a couple of hours to catch the next one.  We took the time to wander around and even dared to venture outside.  Let me tell you, I'm so glad I had my coat and earmuffs because it was COLD.  My hands and nose began to ache soon after stepping out of the station and I quickly made my way back in.  Eventually we got onto our train to Toulon and four and a half hours later we jumped off to catch another line.  From Toulon it was only and hour and a half before making it to Antibes.  Sandro, the student who came to stay with our family in 2008, was there to pick us up.  He was accompanied by his girlfriend and both were really generous for coming out to get us.  He drove us back to his house where we are staying for a couple of days.  The first thing I did was take a shower, but soon afterwards both Kenny and I found ourselves playing Just Dance and Guitar Hero on the Wii station the family owns.  Sandro's parents cooked us dinner which consisted of potatoes, cheese, and different deli meats.  There was a large device in the middle of the table that melted our individual portions of cheese, which you then poured onto the potatoes and meat.  It was something I'd never had before but it was delicious.  We sat at the table for awhile but soon found ourselves yawning and went to bed early.  I was so excited to finally get some sleep and it didn't take long before I was in dream-land.

No comments:

Post a Comment