Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mamasita

They say that third time's a charm, and in the case of getting into the Mexican restaurant in downtown Melbourne, this turned out to be true.  After failing twice before, my roommates and I (along with a couple of other friends) were finally able to squeeze our way into the restaurant.  Unfortunately, we were eventually split up because they could only fit us in in two groups.  I sat with my roommate Sun and my friend Bahar, while my other roommate Liz went off with one of her friends.  My two companions left the ordering to me because they felt like I had the best grip of what would be good.  I felt the pressure, but when the food came out they were impressed.  That allowed me to breathe a sigh of relief.

fish tostadas with guacamole

quesadilla with lamb and mint sauce

I've had the strongest craving for Mexican food lately, because I haven't been able to find it since I left California.  The food that we were served was definitely tasty, and I actually enjoyed it a lot, but I can't say that it filled the hole in my stomach.  It wasn't the "traditional" Mexican food that I'm used to, and I'm just waiting for the day I get home and can have an amazing burrito.  For now, the food we had will have to tie me over.  I think next we are going to try Greek and then Indian.  It's so fun sampling all the different places Melbourne has to offer, and I'm really glad I'm not living alone anymore.  I got out and did stuff on my own before, but it's nice to have company and I really enjoy my roommates.

chicken and molé

In other news, we had a HUGE storm today.  There was nonstop thunder and lightening, to the point where the sky looked like there were paparazzi around snapping photos every few seconds.  I enjoyed watching from my room, but didn't really like trekking through it to get to the restaurant.  It's a really good thing I invested in an umbrella, though it didn't keep my shoes from getting soaked through.  I'm hoping it clears up soon, especially because tonight I was trying to hurry through the rain and at one point I rolled my surgically fixed ankle (which is now just a bit swollen, ugh).  Unfortunately, I don't really have high hopes because the forecast is rain for the next four days.  Bummer  :/

No comments:

Post a Comment