Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chicken Leg: 1, Carter's Hand: 0

So today was my last day in the classroom for semester one of grad school.  I only had one lecture, Cellular Biomechanics, and we presented our term projects to the class.  There was a wide range of projects topics, and one included using chicken legs to model fractures in the human leg.  The group presenting actually brought in some chicken legs so that we'd have the chance to see first hand what happens under different types of loading conditions.  Donned with safety goggles and winter coats, we went outside and began breaking the bones.  First we started with a torsional load, which we found resulted in a spiral fracture.  Then we grabbed hold of both ends of the leg and tried to snap it in half.  Well, the leg I broke ended up lodged in my hand.  One of the sharp edges found it's way under my skin and sliced it.  It was nothing too terrible, but lab protocol required me to get first-aid treatment.  A good washing/disinfecting and a few band-aids later and I was back in class, no worse for the wear.

1 comment:

  1. So, there is more than one area of Biomechanical engineering. It's nice to find out early on those areas that we might not want to work in for the rest of our lives. Besides, chicken legs probably wouldn't be your area of interest anyway.

    Love you, Grandma Connie

    ReplyDelete