Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mega Adventure: Thailand, Day 0

Just as a disclaimer, today is actually my last night in Thailand.  I am currently sitting at a computer in the hostel that I'm staying in (more on that later), and I'm just going to upload one or two days worth of my trip right now.  I have been keeping a daily log of what's been happening while I've been gone, so I'm just going to put that up here.  That means I'll be talking like it's a few days ago, when in fact that's not the case.  Sorry for you guys, but it's just a lot easier for me that way...here goes  :)

Saturday, April 23
Melbourne, Australia

Everything has gone smoothly so far.  I did run into trouble trying to find a bag this morning; I was too busy with work to do it before yesterday, and as I found out, this country takes the Easter holiday very seriously and almost all the stores were closed yesterday (Good Friday).  That left me scrambling a little this morning.  I learned that finding a $10 duffle bag is near impossible.  Neither Big W nor Target carries them and I got some weird glances when I inquired about it.  I eventually found my way to a luggage store, where I spent more money than I hoped, but didn't really feel terrible because I found $40 on the sidewalk while I was running yesterday.
In any case, I got the bag and packed up, somewhat tightly, before heading off to lunch, then the library to do some work and chat with people, then to my room to try and pass the time, since my flight wasn't until 11pm.
Finally the time rolled around and I got on the tram to Melbourne Central Station.  It was an easy few minutes and then a couple more on the metro to Southern Cross Station, where I got off and wandered around trying to find the bus terminal.  It took me about 10 minutes, but I finally got there, bought my ticket, and got onboard the SkyBus to the airport.  It takes about 20 minutes to get from Southern Cross to the airport, but again it was an easy ride.
The airport terminal is huge and a little overwhelming at first, but after standing in line at check-in for a good 15 minutes, I was greeted by a friendly lady who took all my information before asking me for my visa.  I freaked out because the travel agent I booked with said I didn't need one, and I thought my trip was going to be over before it even really started.  But I was informed that it's not a big deal and I'll just get a stamp in my passport upon arrival.  So basically the freakout was unneccessary, but she could have skipped the questioning and gone straight to telling me about the stamp, saving me from the minor heart attack.
Security here is a little more laid-back, as in you aren't made to take off your shoes or coats.  I didn't have anything with me but my backpack, so things went smoothly.  That is, until I was about to walk to my gate, but was stopped by TSA and told that I have been "randomly" chosen to have my bag checked for explosives and to have a pat down.  I seem to be "randomly" picked more often than other people.  Must be something about the way I smile at them as I go through; I must look suspicious.
After that slight delay, I finally made it to my gate.  I was early, of course, and found myself quickly becoming bored, so I brought out my new Ken Follett book and whipped through the first 30 pages before deciding to get up and explore.  Around the gate there really isn't a lot to look at, so that took me about 5 minutes.  Now I'm here, it's 10:20pm and we should be boarding soon for a 9.5 hour flight...something to look forward to.  I'm hoping to pass out and only wake up when breakfast is served.
I'm going to run to the bathroom and then make it back in time to get on the plane.  Or I could just continue to sit here and listen to the Asian man next to me practice his English out loud with his computer.  I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment