Sunday, April 17, 2011

Koalas and Emu and Kangaroos...Oh My!!

This weekend, after watching the exciting conclusion of the NCAA Gymnastics Championships, I decided to finally strike out on an adventure.  My destination, thanks to the recommendation of my dad's OZ co-worker Sue, was Healesville Sanctuary.  I had planned to visit there ever since Sue told me about it, but one thing or another kept me from getting there.  Finally, I made it.  In order to get there, I had to get on the metro from Melbourne Central Station for about an hour, arriving in Lilydale.  Upon arriving, there was a bus waiting, like clockwork, to take me another 35 minutes or so out of town to the sanctuary.  It was a bit of a long trek, but I actually really enjoyed it (and I am very proud of myself for manipulating the public transit system).  Being in the city is great, but has kind of put temporary blinders on me, making me forget that life isn't all like the downtown hustle and bustle.  It was great to pass through towns and see elementary schools, parks, and cute antique stores.  The time went by quickly, and soon I found myself at the entrance of my destination.

Pelican

Emu
 The sanctuary is kind of a blend between a zoo and pure mother nature.  The animals aren't kept in cages, but they are taken care of by the people that work there.  So in a way, you get to experience the creatures in their "natural habitats," which is pretty cool.  A lot of them will come right up to you, which isn't something that you get to see every day.  There were so many animals that I have never had the chance to see before, including some really exotic birds, koalas, dingos and....kangaroos!!!  I actually got the opportunity to pet and feed them, which was AWESOME.  They are so soft and kind, though apparently if you touch their faces they will pounce.  I found out that they eat popcorn kernels like candy, and besides that they snack on leaves from trees that are trimmed back at the sanctuary.  Interacting with them was definitely the highlight of the trip, but everything there was amazing.  Walking around in nature has a funny way of making you forget about everything else you were thinking or worrying about.  A good end to an overall fantastic weekend.
Hello there  :)

Snacking on leaves

And popcorn kernels

No comments:

Post a Comment