Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Back in School

I am officially back in school, this time as a masters student.  I have had three full days of classes, and have had at least one meeting in each of the courses that I am taking this semester.  My class schedule is much more spread out than I'm used to, because before I always had gym in the afternoon, but now I have class at all hours of the day.

As a quick rundown, here is what I am taking and what my first impressions are:
1.  Finance and Human Resources for Engineers - I was not planning on taking this, but there were only a few choices available to me, and this was the only thing that fit into my schedule.  Including workshops and tutorials, I have class meetings MTWTh.  It is going to be good for me to step out of my comfort zone, and I am hoping that the class will hold my interest.  So far I've been learning little bits of econ, and soon this will turn into financial management for engineers.
2.  Medical Imaging - This class is going to be very different than what I had expected, and will probably prove to be the most difficult for me.  I also have class meetings for this course MTWTh.  There is going to be a lot of MatLab work involved, and I am going to have to draw on what I remember about linear algebra.  But the applications are awesome, and I have already learned a bit about all of the cool things you can do to spiff up XRay images, so I'm excited to see where we will be heading.
3.  Cellular and Tissue Biomechanics - This is the course that I know the least about, because I had my first meeting last night and it was just an introduction to the teaching staff and an overall layout of the course.  There are two professors who are joint teaching and one is very organized, while the other is an older man who I forsee straying off track a bit at certain points throughout lecture.  I have my first lab for this class on Friday, and we will be dropping eggs to simulate what happens when someone is involved in a collision and they damage their skull.  Should be interesting to say the least.
4.  Biomedical Engineering - I think that this is the class that I am most excited about.  I just got back from my first meeting about 45 minutes ago, and I'm already excited to go back tomorrow afternoon to see what we will be learning.  Today we covered the history of medicine, and tomorrow we will be getting into anatomy and physiology.  The professor is actually the coordinator for my program, so I have interacted with him already on some level, and he is a great guy who I think will make the class very entertaining.  And only having two lectures a week and two assignments due throughout the semester is a definite plus.

On another happy note, I finally got my phone up and running.  It only took a handful of trips to the phone store and a few calls to India, but it was worth it.  I can't tell you how nice it is to feel connected again!  Thank you Vodafone for finally getting your act together  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment