Monday, February 21, 2011

Bye Bye Bay Area

There was a lot going on this weekend with Senior Night on Saturday and the Sunday departure looming over my head.  Senior Night was definitely a treat, with the boys performing well, and with a very exciting atmosphere in Burnham Pavilion.  Some highlights include Alex landing his vault, Ryan jumping in on high bar without warming up, and seeing all five of the seniors in the floor line-up. While it was sad to see the seniors finish up their last routines at home, the season isn’t over, and there are many more exciting things to come for them in the next month or so.

After the competition we went out to celebrate the boys, with the added pleasure of having the Japanese Collegiate All-Stars in attendance.  They were definitely fun to hang out with, and know how to have a good time.  It was fun for me to be out with my closest friends one last time, but the night went quickly, and I soon found myself waking up this morning with a weird feeling in my stomach.  I went for a run, did some errands, and then headed to brunch with my sisters (gym class of 2010).  After some heartfelt notes and a couple of tears, we went our separate ways.  It was hard to watch them go, but I know that they will be in my life forever and I can’t wait to see their faces on Skype in the near future  :)

After brunch I went back to my apartment to make sure that everything was in order.  My parents came down with the truck so that they could take home some of the bigger pieces of furniture that I had left.  They headed off to the airport, and we all met up after the very emotional car ride that I had with my best friend.  After checking in and a quick snack with my parents, it was already time for me to head through security and off to my gate.  I waved goodbye one last time, and from there everything went really quickly.  Before I knew it, I was sitting on the plane, getting ready for take-off.  I am currently sitting here (well, as I’m writing, but when I am able to post this I won’t be), recently fed and experiencing a very nice bought of bumpy air (not a good combination).  I have to say that the service so far (almost three hours in) has been great, and the food was very good as well.  For dinner I had pesto lasagna, with a small salad, a dinner roll, some cheese and crackers, and a piece of carrot cake that looked delicious, but by that point I was really full, so I didn’t get to sample it.  I have also been offered a glass of wine on four separate occasions so far.

On the other side of the equator!  Hello summer  :)
Dinner

 I have about 10 hours left until I land in Auckland.  I have watched one movie, and am extremely tired (three and a half hours of sleep last night plus the emotional drain of the day), so hopefully I’ll be able to stay awake for another hour or so before trying to conk out for a little while.  Brekkie (breakfast) will be served before we land (ETA 5:55am local time), and I can’t wait to see what we will be having.  I’ll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment