Monday, February 21, 2011

Melbourne Bound

I was successful in making it to Auckland.  The flight was pretty much right on time, and upon my arrival I had to go through an “International Transfers” screening with my carry-on luggage.  It was a quick, modified version of the security that I went through in the states, and soon I was on my way.  My gate information wasn’t posted, so I just hung out in a big, neatly decorated space, and made a call to AT&T to try to sort out some issues with my phone.  Soon after I made it to my gate, it was time to board.  This time I am on a double-decker plane, and I was able to arrange for an aisle seat.  After sitting for so long it’s really nice to have the chance to stretch my legs a little bit.  Unfortunately I am sitting near three families with small children, none of whom are happy at the moment.

To my surprise, there was yet another meal service (meaning my second brekkie of the day), and this time I was actually hungry, so I had eggs and chicken sausage.  The flight attendants couldn’t be nicer, which makes the flight much more bearable.  American flight attendants could really learn some lessons from them.  I’ve also had my first encounter with someone who was curious about where I was from because of my “accent.”  He guessed Canada, which I guess is close enough  :)

Our flight was a little late getting out of Auckland, and we aren’t scheduled to land in Melbourne until 10:15am local time.  I am supposed to meet someone who is going to take me to where I am staying, so hopefully they’ll wait for me while I get my bags and go through customs and whatnot.  It’s crazy to think that yesterday I was in San Francisco, and now I have been to New Zealand and am on my way to Australia.  By the looks of it, we are about 1146km away from Melbourne, woohoo!  Upon landing, I will have to find my way to the orientation activities that are planned for today.  I think I’m going to miss the international student briefing (oops), but will make the one for all the engineering students.  Let the adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment