Sunday, March 31, 2013

Passover: 2013 Edition

Carter Family Passover 2013 is in the books and I will be the first to say that it was a huge success.  Yesterday morning I went to work bright and early for Athlete Warrior before practice started at 9am.  I helped out with the optionals until 11am and then went home for a run, shower, and to change.  By 1pm I was ready to head out the door to meet Alex at the Ford Center.  Once I picked him up we stopped in Town & Country for lunch and then were finally on our way.  The drive was very easy and even though we went a round-about way (I-5...not the prettiest highway) we arrived a bit after 4pm.  This was great timing in my mom's eyes because she had tasks for us to do before the other guests arrived.  First we needed to get the tables assembled and then set them with some of my Nana's dishes.  Alex took some time to try to figure out how to fold the napkins into the shape of the Star of David; it was a valiant effort but unfortunately didn't work.  However he was successful in doing so with the $20 bill my mom had ready for the person who would eventually find the Afikomen.

The guests, including neighbors and other family friends, came pretty timely and my mom led us all through a new version of the seder.  Everyone was very interactive as the story of Passover was told and because my brother wasn't able to make it Alex had the honor of being the one to ask the all-important Four Questions (as he was the youngest boy).  Many glasses of wine were consumed and finally dinner was served.  The menu included beef brisket (my favorite!!), chicken, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, kugel (made especially for me my mom said), and a variety of condiments.  Many people were up and down for seconds and the table was lively with conversation the entire time.  Eventually we settled down again to consume the last glass of wine and finish off the ceremony in style.

After some of the dishes were done and dessert was served Alex and I made our exit because we still had the drive back in front of us.  My parents were thrilled that we could both make it this year and told us so multiple times.  It's nice to feel so loved!  The drive home was very interesting as a storm passed through on our way, heavy rain and lightening like we'd hardly ever seen before included.  Alex drove until we got to the Bay Bridge and then as we were waiting to get through the toll pass he decided he didn't want to go the distance so we did a Chinese fire-drill (where I got out of and ran around the car while Alex climbed over the seat to the passenger side) which was highly entertaining.  I drove the rest of the way and we were home by 11:15pm.

Today is Easter and I spent the entire day being lazy...as in I haven't even left the house and I even managed to get in a nap.  I'm still trying to fend off this sickness that's been hanging around for a couple of weeks or more.  With a very busy April coming up this is my last chance to really relax until the competitive season is over.  Coupled with the fact that classes start tomorrow and that now I'm teaching two sections instead of just one and my calendar is filling quickly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment