Sunday, March 10, 2013

Meet In Malibu

Another weekend of adventure in the books.  Actually, a lot happened even before I left Friday afternoon:  I first found out that my friend from Wales, James, got his Canadian work visa approved and will be out this way for a year starting in a couple of months.  I'm really excited to see him as he's one of the few people from Australia I really connected with and still talk to.  Then on Friday morning the second baby for the Guth family and Alex's newest niece, Gabriella Christine, was born.  We were playing tennis when the news came and I was surprised it was a girl because I thought for sure it would be a boy this time.  I was the closest in the guessing game with the weight, only being 4oz off.  Then, yes there's still more, I got a text from Alex regarding the program in Germany he applied for...he got in!!  It's super exciting because I know how much he wanted it and how hard he worked for it.  He'll be gone for an entire year starting around the end of July and it's going to be like me leaving for Australia all over again but I'm reminding myself that it's an amazing opportunity and life event so I'm happy for him.  And it gives me an excuse to make a trip to Europe  :D

Megan was home and offered to take me to the airport which was nice because I was planning on taking the train again which isn't the most convenient way to go.  Once my co-workers and I made it through security and to the gate, we sat down and thought we were good to go until they made a "last call" announcement for our flight.  We looked around, realized there was no one else waiting, and jumped up and onto the plane.  Apparently United Airlines likes to start the boarding process much earlier than other airlines and even though we still had plenty of time before the plane was going to leave, they had gotten everyone else on board already.  It was a wake-up call and an interesting way to start the journey, but it all worked out.

We got to LAX, had some interesting times getting the rental car, and drove to Thousand Oaks where our hotel and the meet were.  We had some down time before the Friday evening session but soon found ourselves there and ready to work.  Xcel was competing and the Silver team came in second while the Gold team won!  I was just there to help Loren and Michaela because I don't coach those girls on an everyday basis; I was worried about getting in the way but we worked well together and it was pretty smooth sailing throughout.  It was late by the time we finished and we were tired from the long day so we ate dinner and went back to the hotel.  Michaela and I stayed up for awhile talking before we went to sleep, only to get up early yesterday to make it to the morning level 7 session by 7:45am.  Two optional team sessions later and we were finished, packed up, and headed back to the airport.  The optionals could have done a better job as a team but there were some highlights in there, including an all-around champion and a silver medalist.  There were some event champions sprinkled throughout as well but I think most importantly there were lessons learned for all of the girls that they can take with them into the post-season.  It was a fun opportunity for me because I was the only optional coach there for them...my first solo ride!

We almost missed our flight back to SFO because of the LA traffic but managed to once again run on before the plane took off.  T came to pick us up and to top off the weekend she got pulled over on the way home for a headlight that was out.  The police officer was nice and were just laughing at the situation, but I really also wanted to get home and get to bed because I was just exhausted.  I'm always surprised at how much competitions take out of me and I know it won't get any easier as time goes on.

Today we're celebrating T's 25th birthday (which is officially tomorrow) and enjoying the nice weather the Bay Area has graced us with.  Hooray for sunshine and relaxation, much needed as the days and weeks are only going to get crazier for the next month and a half or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment