Friday, June 29, 2012

24th Birthday/Olympic Trials, Day 1




What a crazy, awesome day.  My birthday actually started on the 27th when a couple of the girls at the gym presented me with a beautiful card and some homemade cupcakes!  They gave me 24 cupcakes for 24 years old.  Later Cale came over to participate in my sign-making process and he brought more cupcakes and a HUGE balloon that is totally awesome.  He got a new car and we switched to make things work out logistically to pick up Alex's family the next morning.


On the morning of the 28th I got up and went for a run before showering, eating breakfast, and getting ready to head out the door for the day.  The first order of business was to get to the airport and then after that we wound our way through downtown San Jose to the hotel, lunch, and finally HP Pavilion.  It's crazy to think that olympic trials are actually here in my hometown and that I can have completely normal day and then just drive to the competition; there's no crazy travel to schedule or anything like that.  After a bit of hectic-craziness at will call I made it inside and snuck into the Team Buscaglia cheering section.  We all had matching shirts as well as the signs so we were ready to go.  Alex started on pbars where the routine was good minus one little bobble.  His high bar was AMAZING and we were so excited and cheering so loud that we made it up onto the jumbo-tron!!  On floor there was an unfortunate mishap but I'm confident it won't happen again and he was able to turn things around and end the day with a great vault.  I'm pretty sure he tied for first on vault and was second on high bar...I don't think I'll ever really get over/fully realize the awesomeness of that.

After the competition the squad met up with Alex and we were able to steal him away and go to dinner.  We went to a nice little place near the arena and at the end of the meal they brought out a little dessert with a candle in it...yay!  That was really fun for me and everyone was singing; I almost accidentally blew out the candle when Cale made me laugh but luckily I was able to actually do it properly and make a wish.  We dropped everyone off after that and Cale and I made our way back toward Stanford. When I got home I realized I had a package from Blair and CJ had made me yet another dessert.  My classmates had gifts for me and it was fun to spend a little time with them.  We were supposed to go out and celebrate but unfortunately that never happened so I'm going to have to rally people and make it work at some point.

Today (actually I'm leaving as soon as I'm done with this) I'm going back to San Jose to hang out with everyone and then later I might be going to the women's competition.  Hopefully I'll get some time with Alex before the big day tomorrow but either way it should be fun.  I can't believe I'm 24...as someone put it to me, it's one year away from a quarter of a century!!


No comments:

Post a Comment