Sunday, February 12, 2012

To Home And Back

It's crazy to think about the fact that one year ago I only had a couple of entries written on this blog.  There was so much going on, from packing to ordering foreign currency, to freaking out about moving to another continent.  I'm still waking up every day feeling thankful to be where I am right now and it is really hard for me to believe that at one point I had the courage to pick up my life and start over somewhere far, far away.

On Thursday Dani and I drove up to the city because she had a work project she needed some help with; we had to measure some wall space.  It ended up being in this fancy office on the 23rd floor of a high rise with amazing views.  It didn't take us too long to get everything done so we decided to go shopping before getting back to Palo Alto.  We both did well at H&M and then enjoyed some people watching while eating lunch.  The weather was amazing so we were really lucky.

Work-wise, it was another great week in the gym...I was able to get many of my girls to do new skills on beam, which was super exciting.  I like the way Allan has split up my time because it allows me to work with both optionals and compulsories.  The optionals are in season right now but are still training some new skills to help keep things interesting.  The compulsories are trying to get their skills for the next level so that they can compete in the summer.  I like to make deals with the little ones and they tend to take advantage of them.  Last week I had to do a tumbling pass on the tumble trak and not only was it fun for me because I hadn't done it in awhile, but the girls were loving it.  The other coach and I also decided to take them out to the running trail on Saturday just for a change of pace and scenery.  We ran about two miles and they did great.

After practice yesterday I decided to go home for the night.  I drove up and arrived around 4pm to the open arms of my parents and grandparents.  We spent some time looking over pictures from Australia (because I hadn't seen my grandpa since I left) and then went to dinner at Pasquel's (it was on my to-do list).  When we got back we watched a movie before we all went to bed.  I woke up at a decent time this morning, ate breakfast at home, and then hit the road.  I drove down to Berkeley to watch both SWG and SMG compete at Cal.  It was really fun to have both teams on the floor at the same time but there was a lot going on and it was kind of hard to keep up.  SWG looked fantastic on beam and bars and they ended up with the win.  SMG hit a rough patch and are down a couple of guys but I'm still proud of their efforts.  After the meet I went to get crêpes with some of the guys and then Alex was nice enough to drive the rest of the way back with me.  It made the time go by quickly and after I dropped him off I went back to shower and get settled in for the week.  While I was home I measured my bedroom furniture and I'm hoping to find out that it will fit in my new room if I manipulate the layout.  It's going to take some creativity but I think we can make it work.  I at least want to get my dresser down here so I feel like I have some of my own space.

No comments:

Post a Comment