Friday, January 6, 2012

Snow In Salzburg

One word for today:  cold.  It has been snowing on and off all day and Kenny and I just walked through a snow storm to get back from dinner.  I'm beginning to have feeling in my feet again but for most of the day I might as well not have had any feet at all.

It was so nice to sleep in a warm, comfortable bed last night.  We got up lazily this morning and enjoyed breakfast in the Villa Trapp dining room.  So far, this has been the best spread.  We both had our books out and enjoyed the more formal dining setting while munching and reading.  After we finally got ourselves together we decided to spend the day looking around downtown Salzburg.  I suited up in my most appropriate attire for the weather, though soon after we stepped outside I learned that I was in fact not prepared at all.  My shoes began to soak up some of the moisture from the falling snow and my toes became numb.  I really wanted to go back to the warmth of the hotel but I knew that I had to put on my best face and trudge along because deep down I knew I wanted to see what Salzburg was all about.

We had no idea what we were going to get when we stepped off the bus.  We wandered for awhile to allow ourselves time to get a mental picture of the town layout.  By then Kenny wanted something warm to drink so we stopped by a café and then continued on our way.  As we were walking along we realized that there were a lot of stores but hardly any of them were actually open.  We learned a bit later in the afternoon that this was because it's a national holiday (celebrating the three wise men that came to visit Jesus) and so unless the store caters to tourists it's actually against the law to be open.  It was still fun to window shop and later in the afternoon we were able to gain access to a rather beautiful cathedral.  We also managed to walk through a cemetery, shop for souvenirs, and pass by Mozart's birthplace before I convinced Kenny that we needed to go back to our room to warm up.  I jumped in the shower and even though it was painful at first I ended up staying there for quite some time.  I felt much better afterwards but soon we had to bundle up and head back outside to find dinner.  We ended up at the same place we ate at last night but it was convenient and still very tasty.  My favorite thing is that they bring you pretzels (the big warm ones) like the bread or chips that would normally be served at certain restaurants back home.

Tomorrow's plans are up in the air at the moment; we need to do some research tonight so we can plan our day.  I'm hoping it won't be as miserably cold but I'm not going to hold my breath.  The snow really is pretty but the temperature definitely makes me grateful that I live in California :)

No comments:

Post a Comment