Friday, December 16, 2011

Graduation

It's done and over with and I have to start off by acknowledging something very important to me:  I want to take a few minutes to sincerely thank my parents.  I've said it to them already, and I'll probably continue to say it as the week goes on, but I am so extremely grateful that they were here to share this day with me.  Not only am I excited to see them after 10 months, but I feel like this celebration isn't just about me, but them as well.  I am 100% certain that I wouldn't be where I am at this moment without everything they've provided me.  No amount of words can be used to describe my gratitude, but they have given me with the very best opportunities as well as unrelenting love and support.  Hearing them say how proud they were of me meant more than getting the degree itself and being able to have them by my side is just icing on the cake.  I feel like the luckiest girl in the world...Mom and Dad, I hope you know how special you made me feel today and that I love you with all my heart.



The morning started off early for me, getting up and getting ready for the day.  I went to meet my parents at their hotel before we went in search of breakfast.  We found a really nice place and took our time eating and talking.  We eventually made our way to campus where I picked up my robe and trencher (cap).  It was really nice because they had some assistants up there who dressed you so that the hood was placed correctly, etc.  There was time for some pictures before we all had to be seated for the ceremony, so we walked around campus and took advantage of that.  The campus really is beautiful and it was nice to get around to some of the most picturesque parts of it.  It was also a fun way for my parents to see things, since this was their first time experiencing UniMelb.


The ceremony was held in Wilson Hall and lasted for about an hour and a half.  It started off with a procession of the important members of the faculty, followed by the PhD students who sat up on the stage alongside them.  They were introduced first, followed by Masters and then Bachelors candidates. On stage, there were a list of things I was supposed to do; pausing in certain places, nodding at people, shaking hands...it was kind of stressful!  I got through with only one minor incident which hopefully went unnoticed, haha.  There were only six people receiving my degree but there were a ton of undergrads to get through.  Upon calling the last name, there was a speech given by the valedictorian and then everyone filed out.  It was very well organized and the choir and organ playing gave it some character.


I had to return my gown and trencher after the ceremony and then my parents and I ventured to my apartment where we relaxed before heading out to dinner.  Fenix turned out to be an amazing choice and I'm so glad we ended up there.  The food was spectacular but it was the service that made the meal.  And I know I've said it already, but having the company of my parents makes all the difference in the world.  I love hanging out with them on a daily basis and have really missed that in the past 10 months.

A fantastic day ended with dessert and more time spent with my parents.  I let them find their own way back to the hotel tonight and I have confirmed that they successfully made it...I'm so proud!  Tomorrow is another early start and a busy day.  Time for bed for the newest graduate of the University of Melbourne  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment